The September 2010 Daring Cooks’ challenge was hosted by John of Eat4Fun. John chose to challenge The Daring Cooks to learn about food preservation, mainly in the form of canning and freezing. He challenged everyone to make a recipe and preserve it. John’s source for food preservation information was from The National Center for Home Food Preservation.
I am proud to say I didn't procrastinate on this challenge. It was actually pretty timely because at the rate my garden has been producing I needed to do something with all of my zucchini. I chose to make and preserve zucchini relish. The recipe I used was from the Ball Home Canning website and can be found here. The hardest part of this challenge was deciding which recipe to use. This one was pretty good overall, though next time I think I will find a way to punch up the zest- The recipe calls for horseradish, and it just didn't do it for me. I added some green chili and still the spice didn't come through. Next time I will have to do some tweaking for sure. I am happy with my results. Can't wait to try the apple butter recipe that John provided. Apple season is just around the corner!
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Daring Cooks September 2010 Food Preservation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment